Sisters

Sisters

Saturday, March 15, 2014

Happy Birthday, Joshua!

The long awaited happy birthday post…

We were traveling on Joshua's first birthday this year, therefore we had our official first birthday party celebration on March 1st.  My mom was in town for the week to help us celebrate.  She has been a part of each child's first birthday celebration.  Samantha and Alli both had parties in Detroit to celebrate their first birthday.  Since we are planning a trip to Detroit this summer, we were not able to make the trip this year to celebrate Josh's.

The party theme was Dr. Seuss.  Lucky for me Dr. Seuss day was March 2, therefore there was Dr. Seuss themed stuff everywhere!  I had hoped to make the big birthday cake, but this is what happened on my first attempt…caketastrophe!


Below is the result of my third attempt, which I was able to fashion in to a smash cake.
This is what we served everyone else for dessert.  FYI - Whole Foods makes fantastic desserts if you ever find yourself in a caketastrophe!


The decorations…




The birthday boy…(many thanks to my friend, Gabriela, for taking the photos below)






Suffice it to say, he had a wonderful birthday celebration, surrounded by many of our close friends, and of course, nanny.  I prepared the slideshow below with pictures of his first year.  It was a bittersweet project for me, as I reviewed the many bittersweet moments over the past year.  So many wonderful memories of him, mixed in with so many sad memories of Alli.



On Joshua's actual birthday we drove from Atlanta to Orlando for our first family mini Disney vacation.    More on the mini vacation in my next post.

So many thoughts on my little man's first year.  He came in to our lives at a time of great turmoil and he rolled with the punches from day one.  He has been at my side, pretty constantly, this first year.  He has brought us great joy amidst great suffering and sadness.  He is quite the charmer with a constant smile and his bright blue eyes.  He has been the perfect addition to our family and I look forward to what the future holds for him!

1 comment:

  1. Loved the video!! Such sweet photos of your family. Happy Birthday, Joshua!!

    ReplyDelete