Sisters

Sisters

Saturday, June 8, 2013

I hold my breath...

A lot. I don't even realize I am doing it. Alli continues to make steady progress. As of this morning, she is down to 5 liters of oxygen. They are talking about transferring her to Scottish Rite early next week. She will be transferred to their PICU ( pediatric intensive care unit) so they can monitor her before she goes to rehab. Her care will still be managed by a cardiologist, but they want the PICU doctors to get to know her in case she experiences a setback during her time at rehab. So, why do I hold my breath? I think partially because I can't believe how far she (and we) have come and partially because I wonder, with every step down, if this will be the step that proves to be too much for her. We have taken such a slow and steady approach and she gets stronger every day. I wish she could finish the weaning process where she is, mostly so the team here can rejoice with us at the end of this very long journey. They have been with us every step of the way. It would be great if they could see it through to the end. But, alas, this is largely a surgical unit and there are many surgeries lined up for the coming days and weeks. So, they need our space, and Alli's needs are not truly cardiac in nature at this point (thankfully).

I don't just hold my breath where Alli is concerned. This week I took Samantha and Joshua to a music program at the Dunwoody public library. There was a group playing called Lunch Money. It was listed as age appropriate for 3-12. Despite my usual rule following ways, I brought Josh and figured he might enjoy some tunes. Two notes in to the first song, josh was in fits. I started to pack up to leave, debating what kind of scene Samantha might make on top of Josh, when the librarian opened up the kitchen in the back of the room for me. I quickly scooted to the back with Josh and watched with amazement as Samantha sat confidently in the front with the other children. She listened and danced and had a wonderful time. She occasionally came back to check on us, but then went right back to rocking out in the front. I was almost jealous of her ability to not worry about how she looked or what other children thought about "her moves" (her "moves" could be the subject of a whole separate blog post). She got tangled up a few times with some other little ones, but everything worked out just fine without adult interference. I was so proud of her. I let out a huge sigh of relief when the hour was over. She was happy and exhausted. Josh is still not a fan of Lunch Money, but was content and playing in his carseat by the time we walked out to the car. I was exhausted from holding my breath. I hope Samantha always has that much self confidence. She is so strong and amazes me every day.

Josh has had a good week. He is getting so big! I trimmed one of his toe nails a little too short and found myself stressing about his red toe for a few days. It is good to know that despite all of the extremes with Alli, that I can still get worked up about the little things with the other two :). Another big sigh of relief when the toe healed and the redness faded away.

In other news, we had an offer on our condo and are waiting to hear back from our agent regarding our counter offer. We have said many prayers to St. Joseph and are hopeful that this will work out. It would be great to have it off of our hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment