Sisters

Sisters

Sunday, August 17, 2014

We'll pick up where we left off...

I think this appropriately sums up our trip to Michigan this summer, as well as our return to Georgia.  Seems like an obvious title and statement, but it actually comes from one of my new favorite songs (shameless plug time).  The song is appropriately titled 'We'll Pick Up Where We Left Off."  It is by O.A.R.  The lyrics go...

Somewhere in the party lies
We're hiding all our tears tonight
It's more than us just hanging out
We're making every second count

Nobody's good at letting go
And I don't mean to let it show
I was fine until I saw
Your suitcase by the door

Hey, don't say goodbye, just say goodnight
And we'll pick up where we left off
We'll say hello and welcome home
And we'll pick up where we left off

Light me up and fill my glass
Dancing while the cameras flash
Like tomorrow's just another day
And you never have to go away

In between those red balloons
Broken stars and yellow moon
Someone turned that music loud
Sing along and let it out

Hey, don't say goodbye, just say goodnight
And we'll pick up where we left off
We'll say hello and welcome home
And we'll pick up where we left off

Telling stories, making toasts
You know I'm gonna miss you most
Time will bring you back to me
Like we never skipped, skipped a beat

Singing, hey, don't say goodbye, just say goodnight
And we'll pick up where we left off
We'll say hello and welcome home
And we'll pick up where we left off

Hey, don't say goodbye, just say goodnight
And we'll pick up where we left off
We'll say hello and welcome home
And we'll pick up where we left off

It is a great song and pretty well describes what it is like to leave home.  Since moving away I have always known that I need to take full advantage of the time I have with people when I am there.  It had been two years since our last trip to Michigan.  In that time, my grandfather, Alli, and my uncle passed away.  We had a lot of catching up to do with family and friends and we did just that.  Below are some photo highlights from our trip.  

We made a quick pit stop in Dayton on our way up and had dinner at Milano's.  Life came full circle when I used a paper towel to open the bathroom door and had an immediate flashback to Thursday night Tim's sludge.  My, how times change :)


Samantha visited the East Side favorite, Emily's, Home of the Meat Pie, her self proclaimed favorite food!


We had a rainy day trip to Harbor Lanes...

Samantha took her first tap lessons at Dancer's Workshop and met Ms. Mary Lou, the woman responsible for my own dance lessons.  It was so fun to take her back to the same studio where I took dance for so many years.  Many of the familiar faces have moved on, but we love Mary Lou and it was so nice to see her!

 Samantha took her first motorcycle ride...

 not really...she looks pretty believable in that helmet though, right?!

We spent some time at the Edsel Ford House in Grosse Pointe.  They had a Peter Pan exhibit.  We stopped in for some photos with Tinkerbell and Wendy.  We also explored the cottage where they had the original artwork by Mary Blair and information about how Peter Pan evolved from J.M. Barrie.

 My mom and I took Samantha to Greenfield Village one day.  This is a photo of us on the carousel.  Samantha also enjoyed the train ride.  I can't wait to take her back here again!



We celebrated Aunt JoAnne's birthday and enjoyed a surprise visit from cousin, Terry!



 The kids fed the giraffes at the Detroit Zoo!






 We visited Aunt Carrie, Uncle Luke, and Millie in Chicago.  If you're wondering why I am covered from head to toe, it is because I was covered, for the majority of our trip up north, in poison ivy.  After two rounds of prednisone and one round of antibiotics, I think it is finally clearing out of my system.  No more weed pulling for me!








On our last weekend home we took a driving tour through Detroit.  During our trip we stopped in Belle Isle at the Scott Fountain.  Belle Isle has come a long way since my last trip there, which was probably in high school.















Samantha snuggling in with Gigi



 We also made it up to Lexington, Mi, which is in the thumb, on Lake Huron.  Our good friends, Mary Claire and Steve Elmer have a house up there.  So we spent a couple of days with them.







 Some other non-photographed memorable times were spent in Grand Rapids with my friend, Adrianne, and her family.  I also enjoyed a memorable night out with the infamous Yia Yia's, my mom's good friends from work.  I was able to enjoy a couple of 'girls nights out' with my friend, Mary Claire.  We talked a big game about revisiting some of our favorite haunts, but settled for the more age appropriate Mike's on the Water, Telly's, and Andiamo Trattoria.  Some things are better left in the past.  We met up with my friend Corey and her family in Chicago and my friend Lauren and her family.  I was also able to connect with my good friends from college, Sarah and Emily.  The only people we missed were my friend Kate and her family in South Bend due to a random flu :(  We were disappointed to miss seeing them, but hopefully will be able to catch up with them soon!  All in all, lots of time spent with friends and family and the beginning of many wonderful memories that will hopefully continue to be made year after year.

It was sad for me to leave Michigan and return to Georgia.  I love my childhood home and being with my family and friends.  I enjoy my life in Georgia with my family, but there is truly no place like home, for me.

We were welcomed with hugs, kisses, and much excitement by Jason's parents when we arrived home.  They have been with us for a month now and are settling in to their new digs.  We love having them with us!   Samantha started school on Wednesday.  Below is the photo from the car as we drove her to her first day.  She fell right back in to her routine and was happy to see her teacher and friends. Each year they ask the families to send in a photograph.  It tugged on my heart a little to send in the picture of the four of us.  Just one of many signs that time is marching on.  We talk about and think about Alli often, but it was sad to send in the picture without her in it.


On our way home, Jason and I stopped at Scottish Rite to drop off the money raised by Deloitte during July's Casual for A Cause.  Over the course of the month they raised $2,000, which was donated to the Palliative Care Program at CHOA.  No photo of the hand off, but we received a tour of the newly opened PICU.  They added about 25 beds (which were definitely needed!).  It is amazing.  The rooms will be so much more comfortable for patients and families who need to stay there.

Samantha had her first tee ball game today.  They made it through just over half an inning before the sirens went off due to thunder and lightening.  She is playing on the Clemson Tigers.  We were so proud of her first efforts!  I can't wait to see the difference between the first and last game.  Pictures to come!

Joshua is doing great.  He is starting to talk and finally has some more teeth popping through his gums.  He loves to get in to whatever Samantha is doing.

We have a quick trip to Hilton Head coming up, as well as Jason's birthday this weekend.  Lots to look forward to!

















No comments:

Post a Comment